Overheard while in line:
Man #1: 50 cents for extra bubbles? What a rip!
Man #2: I'm getting extra bubbles in mine. I love those.
Man #1: Who would pay 50 cents for more bubbles? It should cost less for extra bubbles.
Man #2: Dude, do you even know what "bubbles" are? It's the tapioca balls.
Man #1: What? I thought extra bubbles meant more carbonation.
Man #2: It's the tapioca balls dude.
Man #1: I thought these were carbonated teas or something.
Me: Eyes rolling up inside my head.
I was in Philadelphia last week on business. I happened to be staying in a hotel in the University district, west of downtown. During my wanderings late one day, I stumbled upon a shop called "The Bubble House", which as it turned out, was quite lame. Popular though, maybe because there wasn't anything else in the vicinity of these college ivy league kids, or maybe it's because it's out east and the fad hasn't worn out quite yet.
Anyways, the conversation from the kids behind me made me laugh.
Sorry for the hiatus. Been kinda busy. The new job (6+ months now) has been keeping me very tired. Long days, many nights. Tiring. Not frustrating (yet), just the expected "small company 100-miles an hour w/hair on fire" kind of thing.
There's this little place across the street from Univ of Penn that served up cold cereal and oatmeal. Interesting concept: Cereality. As some of you know, I'm a cold cereal kind of guy. Every morning for me, it's a bowl of "something high fiber" plus "something not so high fiber", usu Kashi (GoLean|Good Friends|Heart to Heart) and something like Honey Bunches of Oats or Honey Nut Cheerios. Ok, so sometimes Apple Jacks too. Anyways, I ended up going to Cereality twice during my 5 day stay in Philly. I know, the price wasn't worth it, but heck, it's cheaper than hotel breakfast food. And probably better for me.
Cereality offers a couple dozen different types of cereal, and some fresh fruit for toppings (I had blueberries and strawberries), as well as other dry toppings. It's an interesting concept. Overpriced maybe, but an interesting concept.
Last week was my second time in Philly. I was there on business about 10 years ago, but the visit was in the suburban/industrial area. This time, I was in the downtown section. Not the most beautiful city to visit. Kind of gray and dirty. East coast thing. Old, worn, full of potholes. Many homeless people sitting standing walking doing nothing. Abandoned buildings abound. Lots of murals in the city. (I saw a book at the UPenn bookstore titled "The Murals of Philadelphia"). Not the type of city for a family vacation, imo.
I saw the Liberty Bell. Well, I saw it through a window as I drove around the block where the building that housed it was. No parking. You know me, cheap chinese man looking for free parking closest to my destination.
Enough about PHL
Did you watch Heroes tonight? Who is really going to blow up NYC? Will it be Sylar or Ted or Peter? Does the Ted character remind you of the Geico Caveman actor? Do you think Lindermann is Peter and Nathan's father? What power do you think mama Petrelli has?
If you ever wondered what "hack and slash" and "phong" is about, you can read up on what had been one of my most favorite TV shows. Here or here. Episodes can be viewed all on Youtube of course, here.
That's gotta be the most I've written in a while. It's nothing really, but I'm stuck on some night work right now, waiting for things to happen....

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home