phong

"What you are experiencing is a temporary distortion on reality" -- phong

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Underdog

I've been watching my share of the Winter Olympics these past few days. I still have a hard time with the NBC coverage of the games, particularly the commentaries. It pleases me to no end when the American favorites are upstaged by their underdog counterparts, the athletes that NBC had to scramble to find background info on. You know, the Ted Ligety, Toby Dawson, Shani Davis types. It's funny (to me) when the NBC-manufactured heroes don't come through. Bode Miller, Jeremy Bloom, Chad Hedrick, even Seattle native Apolo Ohno.

Fortunately for us Seattle-area cable tv customers, we have a choice: the Canadian Broadcast Corporation channel! During every Olympics, summer and winter, CBC as always does an outstanding job with their coverage, and their commentaries are usually much more objective. I do prefer watching their station. Plus, I like the way that several Canadian commercials are more "real life". Like, asian people starring in them, speaking fluent English. Amazingly non-stereotypical. Too bad I can't locate the Tim Horton's commercial for this one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home