phong

"What you are experiencing is a temporary distortion on reality" -- phong

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Counting noses

This week, the senior leadership team from Atlanta came to visit. We are so blessed. Ok, enough sarcasm.

Late yesterday afternoon, around 5:30pm, the division president did a walkthrough of our cubicle area. Of the approximately 43 cubicles in our floor quad, he counted 9 live persons working. Apparently, he was quite steamed about that.

One would think that someone in his position would have a bit more to worry about than how many of his lowly employees are in the office at 5:30pm. It must be "short man syndrome" or something. Or old school 'fear and intimidation' style of management. That type of crap doesn't go over very well on us Pacific Northwest'rs. We'd rather quit than be subject to that kind of power-hungry control-freak behavior. I suppose he doesn't take into account the numerous "6 to 3" and "7 to 4" people that are quite effective at their job. Nor the numerous folks that work from home during the evenings just to catch up because their days are filled with meetings upon meetings. Nope, I'm sure he has no clue.

Tomorrow, I have another pre-interview meeting with a manager of a different team, in a different division. I'm trying trying trying to find the right place to get out of this zoo but stay in the company. I just wish things happened a little quicker.

3 Comments:

At 10:08 AM, Blogger Mouji said...

So...like...why are you still in the same company again?

 
At 11:00 PM, Blogger phong said...

mouji --
I ask myself that question every day.

Bonuses (for 2005) are paid on March 10th... but one must still be employed on March 3rd in order to collect.

I predict an exodus of folks in my division soon after the bonus payout.

I still think there's something good within the company, just not in my division. If it doesn't work out, then it's time to accelerate the search elsewhere. I just hate starting over, and there's no guarantee the grass is greener over there. We'll see. Thanks for your thoughts.

 
At 4:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm thinking good thoughts for you phong! SAW

 

Post a Comment

<< Home