phong

"What you are experiencing is a temporary distortion on reality" -- phong

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Cardboard

*Star Wars Spoilers! Skip this if you must*

I saw Episode 3 on Friday (I know it's Tuesday already...been kinda busy ok?). Overall, I liked the movie. Watching the animated Clone Wars really helped alot with understanding the story and what happened between Episodes 2 and 3. Especially when it comes to General Grievous, the Jedi council, and the scar on Anakin's right eye, etc.

I found it funny that the council still had their staff meetings even though half of the Jedi masters are out on their various assignments. "Um, can we stop this attack against these droids...I have a meeting to attend. Get the holo-projector for me. Reschedule the attack for 1500 this afternoon. And get me a latte. Don't MAKE me use the Force on you!"

I liked the closeups on Yoda this time much better than Episodes 1 and 2. I thought it was very effective use of camera angle. Yes I know it's all CGI. (BTW, I rewatched Episode 6 this weekend too) (The muppet Yoda was pretty good too) (Did you notice how old unmasked Anakin in Ep6 had so much more skin on his face than the newly lava-burnt young Anakin in Ep3? Did his skin grow back? Did he get skin grafts?)

Tell me again how Obi-wan beat General Grievous? Let's see, 4 lightsabers vs 1. Robotic droid arms vs human. Longer reach because of height vs ..... oh nevermind.

If I had the ability to throw stuff around using the Force, I'd be doing that all the time. Forget the hand-to-hand combat. I'd sit back at a distance and it'd be like a video game. "Drop this piece of gear on that person, swing that crane around and whack that guy in the ass. Lift up that princess' dress."

The Jedi that accompanied Mace Windu were lame. They didn't even get a swing in on Darth Sidious before they bit it.

I suppose I spent too much time poking holes in the plot and the acting (hence, "cardboard"), but I really thought that the only effective dialogue was when Obi-wan cried out lines like "you were the CHOSEN one" and "you were like a brother to me". I thought that the transformation to the dark side was rather sudden. And what's with all the cutting off of everyone's wrists/hands/arms? Did every Episode consist of a limb amputation (I have to think back) (and maybe rewatch Ep1 and 2 again) And then the little "Force choke" on Padme...wtf was he thinking? Wasn't he doing this to "save her" to begin with? I suppose I could go on and on, but then I'd be frothing at the mouth again.

Wonderful movie. Can't wait for the DVD.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home