phong

"What you are experiencing is a temporary distortion on reality" -- phong

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Separation Anxiety

Rumors abound at work regarding additional upcoming layoffs. Some of the previous comments such as "you're safe for this year", or "we won't see any changes for 18 months" are now tempered and retracted.

I've long ago decided to stick it out and stay here. Which of course means finding the one or two long term projects that are deemed absolute company-must-haves-or-else. I need to wedge myself in for the long term. That may mean I have to displace someone else on my team that is currently wedged in that position. Well, actually he's halfway wedged, so I think displacing him could be easier than it sounds. No, it's not backstabbing. It's a project he really has no interest in, and its application is more in line with what I'm already doing. I spoke to bossman briefly about it, and he seems fairly receptive if I take it on. He's concerned about my workload, but in reality when this layoff sh!t starts to hit the fan, I think I'm glad to be overloaded.

After I returned from Atlanta, I did notice that there's a whole quarter-area of my floor that's been emptied. Laid off. The parking lot still has plenty of parking spaces after 9 AM. Eerie feelings.

2 Comments:

At 9:36 AM, Blogger Mouji said...

That's gotta be a great job to want to be overloaded with work under threat of being terminated! I was in the same boat a couple of years ago - survived 3 rounds of layoffs...overloaded with work...underpaid. In the end I left that company and looked back wondering why the hell did I want to hang on for that long? Pride? Cuz let me tell ya, the money and so called "prestige" of being good enough to not be expendable was soooooo not worth the stress I put on myself, my friends and my family. Sorry...just my 2ยข...

 
At 6:33 AM, Blogger phong said...

i hear you mouji.
the family time balance is still (fortunately) working in my favor.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home